Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Easter Dress

I made this dress a few weeks ago and decided to save it for Easter.

The pattern is Simplicity 2926 (bodice A paired with skirt C/D). The fabric came from the red tag table at Jo-Ann. Both were in my stash. Hmmm... I think I am just a little bigger than this dress form!


I was going to make the piping out of the dress fabric until a friend said "why don't you use a contrasting color?" I dug through my scraps and found a half-ish yard of dark pink cotton. I really like it with the floral. Thanks for the suggestion Eady!


I had helped a student make this pattern and it gave us quite a bit of trouble. Then another girl at church made two of them. I pulled out the pattern and thought "if she made two we must have done something wrong". Sure enough I soon discovered that we had put the midriff piece in upside-down! I could have hit myself. Sigh, Oh-well!


This was a fun project for me. I have not made a dress (that was not a costume) for myself in probably four or five years and I have not made piping in even longer! I'm looking forward to wearing it on Sunday!

8 comments:

Clare said...

It's lovely, and will be just perfect for Easter!

Sommer said...

What a lovely dress! I think the contrast is stunning too:-)

Mrs. Gore said...

I think I like the contrast color piping, too, although the matching fabric would also have been nice. This will be a wonderful Easter dress. You will look lovely in it.

Unknown said...

It's beautiful and so Spring! I love the colour and the contrasting pink as well. Beautiful!!

hannah queen | honey & jam said...

that's so cute!

Serena said...

It's so pretty! I love the piping.

NadineC said...

Oh, what a sweet dress this is! And I love the contract piping, along with the other commenters. I bet you look absolutely perfect in it!

Christine said...

What a gorgeous dress, Caroline! You are abundantly blessed with sewing skills....now, if only I could sew a straight line. ;)