Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My Favorite Fashion Eras: The Middle Ages


I think most girls go through a “princess stage”. A Beautiful young woman in a long flowing dress getting into a tight spot and being rescued by her knight in shining armor. And why not? What could be more lovely and feminine? What could be more mesmerizing to a child?




I don’t think I ever quite grew out of my princess phase. I still sketch a beautiful maiden every now and then. I still love the flowing silk and velvet gowns. Everything about them strikes the viewer with a sense of femininity.



Unfortunately, this era is best left to the films and storybooks. Though beautiful, it must be admitted that the clothing of the Middle Ages would not be very practical for modern day wear. So, I must surrender my desire to dress like a fairy tale princess to the winds. I must content myself in looking on as actresses in fantastical films and the fair maidens beneath my sketching fingers prance about in all their silk and velvet glory. Oh well, such is life.


Top photo left to right: Illuminated manuscript; Anna Popplewell as Susan in Prince Caspian; Liv Tyler as Arwen in The Return of the King; Illuminated manuscript

Middle photo left to right: Tomb of Jeanne D Evreux and Charles IV; Cate Blanchett as Galadriel in The Fellowship of the Ring; Lucy Griffiths as Marian in Robin Hood; Seal of Eleanor of Aquitaine

Bottom photo left to right: Illuminated manuscript; Dakota Blue Richards and Natascha McElhone as Maria and Loveday in The Secret of Moonacre; Olivia de Haviland as Marian in the Adventures of Robin Hood; Illuminated manuscript

No comments: