Monday, April 19, 2010

Orange Print Regency Day Dress

Pattern: Sense and Sensibility's Regency Gown Pattern


Fabric: 60" wide poly/cotton blend from Jo-Ann's
Other Materials: Seam Binding, Hooks and Eyes (for closure), Sugar & Cream yarn in White (for piping)

Inspiration: Emma's Orange Floral Dress form Emma (BBC, 2009)


Altering the bodice:

To add the gathers to the top of the bodice front I placed the bodice piece at an angle, adding fabric to the top but not to the bottom.


You will have a little "peak" at the top of your piece. Just cut it off straight (I didn't take a picture of what I cut off so I've indicated it here with the purple line).


I cut my lining piece normally and gathered my outside piece to fit the lining.

For the sleeve (see the picture above) I cut out a shortened version of the long sleeve piece. I then shortened more after it was cut. Using the long sleeve piece made the sleeves much less full than using the short sleeve piece.


The finished dress:


Lillian's dress was made using the original pattern without alteration. You can see the difference in the sleeves very well by clicking on the third and fourth pictures.

1 comment:

SisterlyLove said...

ooh! Pretty! I love regency dresses! Yours turned out so beautifully!
marguerite